The genius wit and spirit of a nation are discovered in its proverbs, said Bacon. Do have fun with a select few of ours.
1. GARAH WANDAI GARA SASAH, GARAH NERAHA NE ZAH
Translation: O Home, I offer you a thousand houses and I will never go out from you.
Meaning: There’s no place like home.
2. ASAV NE, TE LASAV KITH PAETH
Translation: If we don’t laugh, how will we live?
Meaning: He who laughs lives longer.
3. HALEN BANAN VUKER THAAN, HIVEN HIVY SAMKHAAN
Translation: Twisted covers for twisted vessels.
Meaning: Likeminded persons meet likeminded persons (Birds with the same feathers flock together).
4. HASTI DAREYI NA WAVAH TIH BUJI KAED KAPAS
Translation: The elephants couldn’t stand the wind, but the old woman went out.
Meaning: An insignificant person can often accomplish what kings have not.
5. KAHILO TSAENGIS DI PHOKH’ ACH VATIV, TSONG GATSI TSHET PANAY
Translation: O lazy fellow, put off the lamp, close your eyes and the lamp will be extinguished on its own.
Meaning: Laziness is a curse.
6. BOYI GOV KAEYN, BENI GAYIH THAEIN
Translation and Meaning: The brother is hard like a stone, the sister is soft like butter.
7. HOON WORAN THE KARWAN PAKAAN
Translation and Meaning: The dogs bark but the caravan goes on.